Cannot log out and blank screen with cursor. Windows 8.1
Dear Microsoft Community, can someone please help.
I have had an ongoing problem with my Dell XPS15 for several weeks.
This computer is only 5 months old.
Dell have tried various things but the problem still persists.
At various times I get a blank black screen with just the cursor showing.
I can do nothing
with it at all (Ctrl/Alt/Del doesn't work) except force it off and on again.
This blank screen usually happens either when I turn the machine on in the morning or when I try to log off.
Sometimes the machine won't let me log off or shut down.
When I try this
nothing happens at all. Then I try to change to another user and I get the blank screen.
This problem doesn't happen every time I try to log off but perhaps on 1 in 5 occasions.
I have checked out the event logs relating to the time of the blank screen and some common logs are as follows:-
1) "The description for error ID 3 from source NvStreamSvc cannot be found.
Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted.
You can install or repair the local component."...
2) "Windows detected your registry file is still in use by other applications or services.
The file will be unloaded now.
The appications or services.....may not operate correctly afterwards."
3) "The winlogon notification subscriber
These are the most common logs that I get.
Dell have tried uploading replacement chipsets and have reinstalled both the graphics drivers.
The problem still persists.
I also cannot do a system restore as this does not proceed either.
In any case the available dates are later than the original problem now so this wouldn't resolve it.
Can someone please help.
This is driving me mad.
Anwsers to the Problem Cannot log out and blank screen with cursor. Windows 8.1
I resolved the printer issue by reinstalling the printer drivers.
On 1st June Dell did a complete restore of all the software on my PC to resolve the blank screen issue.
This resolved the issue until yesterday when it reoccurred again.
Since then I have removed some software packages which seem to have installed themselves.
a) PC Utilities Pro
b) Viewpoint Media Player
c) Download for free.
d) Search Protect
I had also installed a DVD drive software (VLC 2.1.4) since I added an external DVD drive but I'd rather not unistall this (unless I really need to) as it is actually useful.
So far today the computer has behaved itself.
I'll advise further if the problem re-occurs.
Manually editing the Windows registry
Caution: Unless you an advanced PC user, please do not edit the Windows registry manually.
Because of this risk, we highly recommend using a trusted registry cleaner such as SmartPCFixer Using a registry cleaner automates the process of finding invalid registry entries, missing file references (like the one causing your MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION error), and broken links within the registry. A backup is automatically created before each scan, with the ability to undo any changes in a single click, protecting you against the possibility of PC damage. The best part is that repairing registry errors can also dramatically improve system speed and performance.
- Click the Start button.
- Type "command" in the search box... DO NOT hit ENTER yet!
- While holding CTRL-Shift on your keyboard, hit ENTER.
- You will be prompted with a permission dialog box.
- Click Yes.
- A black box will open with a blinking cursor.
- Type "regedit" and hit ENTER.
- In the Registry Editor, select the Error 0x9C-related key (eg. Windows Operating System) you want to back up.
- From the File menu, choose Export.
- In the Save In list, select the folder where you want to save the Windows Operating System backup key.
- In the File Name box, type a name for your backup file, such as "Windows Operating System Backup".
- In the Export Range box, be sure that "Selected branch" is selected.
- Click Save.
- The file is then saved with a .reg file extension.
- You now have a backup of your MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION-related registry entry.
The next steps in manually editing your registry will not be discussed in this article due to the high risk of damaging your system. If you would like to learn more about manual registry editing, please see the links below.
Recommended Method to Fix the Problem: Cannot log out and blank screen with cursor. Windows 8.1:
How to Fix Cannot log out and blank screen with cursor. Windows 8.1 with SmartPCFixer?
1. Download SmartPCFixer . Install it on your computer. Click Scan, and it will perform a scan for your computer. The errors will be shown in the scan result.
2. After the scan is finished, you can see the errors and problems need to be repaired. Click Fix All.
3. The Repair part is done, the speed of your computer will be much higher than before and the errors have been removed. You can also use other functions in SmartPCFixer. Like dll downloading, windows updating and print spooler error repair.
Related: Best Way to Update & Download Toshiba Satellite A205-S4607 Speech System v.1.00.2520 driver,[Solved] Download Toshiba Satellite C655D-S9511D Face Recognition v.3.1.17 driver,How to Download Toshiba Satellite L655-S5106BN Media Controller Plug-in v.22.214.171.124 driver,Download Toshiba Satellite L845-SP4281RM PC Health Monitor v.126.96.36.199 driver,How Can You Update & Download Toshiba Satellite Pro U500-EZ1321 Web Camera Application v.188.8.131.52 driver,Best Way to Download NVidia GeForce 6100 VGA Driver v.304.51 Certified,How Can You Update & Download NVidia GeForce 9300/nForce 730i VGA Driver v.310.19 Certified,Method to Download NVidia GeForce GT 330M Driver v.340.65,How Can I Update & Download NVidia GeForce GTX 590 Driver v.280.26 WHQL,Method to Download NVidia Tesla C2050 Driver v.319.17,Way to Download RealTek RTL8100C(L) Driver v.5.01,Way to Download RealTek RTL8100E Drivers v.694,Way to Update & Download RealTek RTL8101L Auto Installation Program v.6.110 driver,Method to Update & Download RealTek RTL8111G PXE and RPL ROM code v.2.58 driver,How to Update & Download RealTek RTL8411B(N) Driver v.10.003,Best Way to Update & Download ASUS A53SV nVidia Graphics Driver v.184.108.40.20686,Method to Herunterladen ASUS K75VJ Intel Rapid Storage Technology Treiber v.220.127.116.110,How Can You Update & Download ASUS CG8580 Intel Chipset Driver v.18.104.22.1689,Method to Update & Download ASUS K41VD Intel INF Update Driver v.22.214.171.1245,Way to Update & Download ASUS Pro70T NB Probe v.3.0.0026 driver
Read More: How Can I Fix - cannot instal new program by error with 'Microsoft.VC80CRT.version="8.0.50727.1833".?,[Anwsered] Cannot connect to the internet as signal breaks between gateway and internet,Troubleshoot:Cannot open link in a new tab in Internet Explorer 8,How to Fix Error - Cannot download Mcafee Software?,Solution to Error: Cannot get Windows mail (Vista) to recognise recipients addresses,Can't download PP templates automatically to Windows 7 w/IE 8,Can't change drive letter - Vista,Can't change homegroup sharing permission,Can't connect XP shared printer to Win7 except as a local printer.__,Can You Connect the LAN Adapter for Wii On your Windows 7 Laptop?